Aerodynamic design usually starts with the wing and the airfoil shape, but quickly extends to the full outer surface of the aircraft. Along with designing a smooth, low drag shape, aerodynamic design includes providing good stability and control and handling qualities.
TLG has direct experience in many aspects of aerodynamic design ranging from airfoil section optimization to jet engine inlet design all the way up to clean sheet aircraft design.
TLG AERODYNAMIC DESIGN SERVICES:
- Applied Aerodynamics Expertise
- Trade Studies, Concept Exploration and Preliminary Design including Aircraft sizing and Flight Surface Sizing for Performance, Stability and Control
- Airfoil Element Design and Optimization including Single and Multi-element Flaps
- External Aerodynamic Design including Radomes, Canopies, Winglets, Wings, Control Surfaces, High-lift Devices, Fairings, Antennae, Nacelles, Struts, Inlets, Ducts and More
- Propulsion Installation Effects and Installed Performance of Jet Engines
- Aircraft Performance Prediction, Measurement and Model Validation
- Power Plant Integration
- Thermodynamic and Heat Rejection Analysis
- CFD Capabilities from 2D MSES to Full Navier-Stokes 3D with STAR-CCM+
- Wind Tunnel Testing, Low speed, Transonic and Supersonic. TLG can coordinate all aspects from model design and construction to on-site test support and post-test data analysis and reporting.
WHAT TOOLS DOES TLG USE FOR AERODYNAMIC DESIGN?
TLG employs a variety of tools including FUN2D and MSES for airfoil design, vortex lattice methods for stability derivatives and STAR-CCM+, a full Navier-Stokes CFD solver, capable of unsteady analysis with coupled fluid-body 6DOF simulation and heat transfer. But even with sophisticated tools, the most important aspect to successful design is being able to simplify the problem and use the appropriate tool for the job. This is where TLG’s wide range of experience in the design process will save you time and money.